PDA

View Full Version : Ftp/Mass upload

Daz wilde
07-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Right this had probably been answered a thousand times.

Can you ftp lots of pics and just add them into the gallery??

Morgan
08-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Give yourself FTP Import permissions via the ACP Usergroup Manager, and then when you go to upload, there will be a message telling you where to FTP the files for FTP import. FTP the files into that directory, fill out the rest of the PhotoPlog upload form, submit, and wait for it to finish. Tip: test it out on a couple of images to see how it works before doing a bunch of images so you get a feel for it.

Taragon
08-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Morgan,

First I’m sorry for bringing up this rather old thread again.
At PhotoPost there currently is a huge discussion going to include a better (read user friendly) way ftp-ing (mass uploading) files. http://www.photopost.com/forum/photopost-pro-suggestions/134255-desperate-could-we-have-ajax-enabled-photo-upload.html
Is there currently a similar development going on at PhotoPlog?

Best regards,
Cor

Morgan
08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Suggestions have been made to help improve FTP importing, most notably titles and descriptions. Not sure at this point what changes, if any, will be implemented to allow different titles and descriptions, but as one of the main points to FTP importing is to start it and not have to sit there, if there is a change, it'll be something to keep the ability to walk away in place.

Taragon
08-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks,
I completely agree the main benefit using ftp shouldn’t be changed.

Maybe my request was wrong. I don’t wanna change a thing using ftp mass uploading.
I’d like to change the regular uploading system, allowing to select both a single or multiple files with just one selection.
SWFUpload http://swfupload.org/ would give a great impression what would be possible.

Would it be possible to have this in PhotoPlog someday (if not by default, do you think it would be easy to implement?)

Morgan
08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
That is probably unlikely as the front-end uploading (not including FTP Import) is only meant for a small number of files. There are some neat things that can be done with SWF and Java (Java and JavaScript are different beasts) but PhotoPlog is likely to remain in the PHP realm. Not sure how easy/hard SWF Upload would be to implement, haven't done it.

Taragon
08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Content visible to registered users only.

Hi Morgan,

First of all, sorry for my late reply of course.
Since you’re the one who knows most about PhotoPlog Pro, is there any chance you could take a quick peek perhaps? (as paid request of course)

Morgan
08-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Sorry, currently not taking on anything else. In order to figure out what it'd take to implement, I'd actually need to investigate it. A quick peek wouldn't net much if anything at all. :(

mikel
10-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Content visible to registered users only.
That is the NUMBER 1 reason I can't use PhotoPlog. I have 1K+ pictures that need distinct titles. Using the FTP upload, all the pics in that upload take on the same title/description. That's a SERIOUS FLAW in my book. A simple workaround is to use the file name as the title - should be simple to implement. That'd be sufficient to get me to switch from vbGallery (which appears to be dormant/stagnant/almost dead at this point) to PhotoPlog.

Any thoughts on that Morgan ? Otherwise I like this product and already have a license.

Thanks,
Mike

Morgan
10-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Adding a plugin to define a constant should be all that is needed to get PhotoPlog Pro to use the file name as the title. Another plugin could be added to make the description use the file name as well.

mikel
12-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Is there a hook in the mass/ftp upload code to support this feature ?

I think this should be a standard feature. I don't know any gallery that would want the same name/desc for 100's of uploaded pictures.

Just my $0.02 :)

Morgan
12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, hooks are available where you could, for example, add a plugin to change the title and description to the file name if you want.

otstrel
04-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I've been looking for decent gallery software to use with my forums for quite some time now and after I read last few posts I finally decided to stay away from PhotoPlog. This is not something I'd like to hear for my own money even though I'm pretty capable of such coding task...