View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Yellow Plog

Gallery: 0
Comments: 0
Default settings.php fix Applied to live site.

I think building on this is the way to go, from what I can see on my live install it has cured all duplicate directories without the need to have anything set for it in photoplog settings. Thats the good news because vbportal also has a module dropdown box in the menu block to save housing all links in a list, this is also now functioning as would be expected.

The bad news is (and I have been throught it relatively thoroughly in an untouched vb default style), is default links called in a relative to forum root related to going to forum pages appear to be broken, also the default styles css image paths and stylevar image paths are relative to forum root so they too are broken. The images are easy to fix in this instance by using a replacement variable. The links present a more awkward situation. One quite simple suggestion would be for photoplog to carry extra cp settings for forum path and forum url, ie $vbpotions->photoplog->[bbdir] and [bburl] and then carry its own header, navbar and footer. I think all relative referenced links and images not from the webroot can then be defined in a relative way using the extra variables in all photoplog templates. Theres probably a better way but I'm not a php expert.
I am sure I had to repair some links in a photopost install I did a few weeks back for someone for this very reason and had to make them relative to webroot with portal defined variables.

To summarise it should now be good for photoplog to have elements from other 3rd party scripts that dont sit in forum root either to use relative links and paths with their own variables and anything that this fix currently breaks in vb links and images can certainly be fixed in a relative way. Not so good for those who have a few dozen styles with a lot of individual customisations tho as the likelyness of the these 3 main templates being individual to each style is high, which is why I hope theres a way to build on the fix for those people.