PhotoPlog

Go Back   PhotoPlog > PhotoPlog Pro > Pre-Sale Questions
Screens Demo Purchase Download Register

Attention: Last reply in this thread was more than 17 Years ago

Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Green Plog

Gallery: 1
Comments: 0
Default Can you make the primary view 'user-centric'?

Greetings-

Is it possible to present the photoplog data in a more 'user-centric' view? The views I have seen seem to be sliced by category and I'm looking for a listing of user galleries (ie data sliced by user album).

Like this for example. Ideally you could have a list or thumbnail view by user.

http://www.cinciforums.com/forums/vb...hp?do=userlist

I would like this to be the primary view. Is this possible with photoplog pro?

Thanks!

peace . . .
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Head Plog
Admin

Gallery: 10
Comments: 25

PhotoPlog Pro doesn't yet have a member's list, but it's on the to-do list for the v.2.1.4 release. In the current version, if you want to see a single user's images, a link like http://www.photoplog.com/demo/pro/index.php?u=1 will display them, where u=X, X the vB userid, in the query string.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Green Plog

Thank you very much for your response but as it turns out I guess I didn't quite ask the right question.

I'm not looking to just list the data by user, I am looking to consistently group it by user, not by image category. For example if I click on the link above I see your images but if I click on the spider now I am in a category of spiders. In my case the fact that anyone else had spider images is irrelevant I am primarily interested in seeing images by user. In my use case clicking on the spider would not take you to see other peoples spiders, you'd remain in Morgan's gallery because your primary interest is in Morgan, not in spiders.

Basically from what I can tell you're slicing the data primarily by image content and I'm looking to slice it primarily by user. User galleries as opposed to image categories.

Do you see what I mean?

Last edited by tim99; 01-21-2007 at 08:22 PM..
Old 01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Head Plog
Admin

Yep, I see, and nope, everything is sliced by category. User galleries, once the ability to create them has been added to PhotoPlog, will really be categories. Right now users can suggest categories, i.e., you moderate them all, but whenever pro v.2.1.4 is released, unmoderated categories will be allowed, meaning users can create their own categories i.e. galleries so when you 'click up' you will be in that users gallery i.e. category, assuming the uploaded file is in that category. Hope that made sense.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 01-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Green Plog

Thanks I appreciate your time.

Just do be clear do you mean 2.1.4 will support user galleries? Or is a step towards user galleries?

Basically if the user uploads a picture I want it to default to his gallery and then he can add it to public categories if he wants to (and if they exist). And that the primary presentation/grouping/navigation of images can be by user/

Thanks again . . .
Old 01-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Head Plog
Admin

The user will pick the category in which to upload the file, just as it works now. If the category is a user-created category, then the upload will go into that category. The creation of unmoderated categories, meaning you as admin don't have to first approve the category, is what will be in pro v.2.1.4.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Orange Plog

Gallery: 2

Not to intrude on the discussion, but the image popup already groups images by user and currently only displays images that have been uploaded by that user, given that that functionality is already implemented, is there a possibility that it could be copied and repurposed to handle maybe a simplified record set that would accomplish what Tim's looking for in a future version? Or maybe expand album functionality to encompass User based grouping of images?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Orange Plog

Default Would have edited the above but wasn't able

Just wanted to expand a bit on what I said above about the use of Albums.

As I mentioned in a post to the 2.1.5 feature request thread, I think expanded Album functionality maight be able to significantly improve the overall flexibility of the system. For example, by creating an automatic system default album that holds all the images uploaded by a given user, and then having the clicked image in that album popup a new window with *just* that entry in it, or even just have it bring up the image in it's native category in a new window rather than in the same browser would go a long way to improving the usefulness of albums. The problem with the existing implementation is how you have to back up so much to get back to it. The ideal would probably be to have clicking on an image in the album spawn a new browser that has the full size image with the description custom fields etc listed below it. Then closing it brings you right back to the album. So if you had a system created album with all the user's uploads in it, you have something that would probably do exactly what Tim wants? It would add tremendously to the basic flexibility of the system, and it wouldn't seem like a very complex change?

James
Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Head Plog
Admin

Categories hold the uploaded files whereas albums are akin to subscribed threads, holding those files you prefer. I don't see the need for a default album holding all files uploaded by a user, as you can see those files by going to a link like http://www.photoplog.com/demo/pro/index.php?u=X where X is a user ID. Adding more locations where you can add a file to an album might be a good idea though.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Orange Plog

Default Sorry for being unclear/incomplete in the post above

I spent a bit of time thinking about this after posting and I followed up on the 2.1.5 suggestions thread. The problem with using the link you provide is that as soon as you click the link it drops you down into the categories instead of staying with the list you were working from. It also bring it up in the filmstrip mode (which actually isn't too bad a thing for us, but in a fair number of situations it's awkward for the members) and you have to click it again to bring up the full size image. For sites that aren't mainly a photography gallery type of site, it's pretty counter intuitive for the average member. I made what I *think* are some interesting suggestions on the 2.1.5 thread? Basically I can see a ton of potential in albums to increase the flexibility with which the system could be used. 'Course I was sick as a dog and hopped up on cough syrup and caffine at the time, so It might all be incomprehensible gibberish .

James