Attention: Last reply in this thread was more than 15 Years ago

Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Orange Plog

Gallery: 2
Comments: 0
Default vB 4 Announcement: Beta in Q2 2009, includes centralized attachments

See the announcement on vB.com Specifically the feature:
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

I think there needs to be some discussion about what this means for Photoplog? Seems to me, that this puts Photoplog in almost the same exact boat as vBlogetin was in. If vBlogetin had *moved* they would have owned the market, as vBlog totally sucked at initial release, and still does. Many folks have been looking for a better system but vBlogetin imploded and that's that.

There's a very real danger of the same thing happening here IMO. And having been through it once already I'd like to caution folks that the jelsoft system is quite likely to really miss the boat on required features to make a centralized attachment system user friendly enough to be adopted by forum users.

So... I think we need to talk about what's going to happen? We're very happy with what we've heard about Morgan's plans for the next version, and we're more than ready to help in any way possible in getting it out. But in my opinion right now is a critical decision point, either Photoplog is going to move forward NOW, or folks are going to start bailing.

So, Morgan, if you intend to go forward, what can the community do to help?

James and Susan
Old 12-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Head Plog
Admin

Gallery: 10
Comments: 25

There is nothing in that announcement that indicates that Jelsoft is going to release its own gallery. Personally I think that "sharing of attachments across products" means exactly what is written, sharing vBulletin attachments across vBulletin products. I am not familiar with the vBlogetin situation, but from what you describe, I see a couple of stark differences. My impression is that people in general like the pro version. There were a number of alternative gallery scripts available when PhotoPlog was introduced, and PhotoPlog is still here. In fact, the pro version has been around for over two and a half years with no indication of disappearing. This hardly seems like a case for implosion. If Jelsoft ever does decide to release its own gallery, it is a free market. Some people will stick with PhotoPlog. Some people will move to the vBulletin gallery. This is no different than the situation that already exists between PhotoPlog and its current competitors. PhotoPlog will move ahead as is already planned and in the works.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 AM
Orange Plog

Obviously we completely hope that's the case... The concern is one of perception. I've been following numerous threads all day, and there's been a lot of speculation. Please forgive if we seem panicked or extreme, but we really love 'Plog and feel it's the best centralized gallery system available. It's certainly got far and away the best integration with the forum and the most usable search system.

The last thing we want to see is an erosion of support because people have unrealistic expectations of what Jelsoft will be releasing. Like I said, we've been though that with vBlog and vBlogetin, and it's a bit of a case of "once burned"... So I thought it might be good to be proactive and start a discussion of what might be involved and see if the community can do anything to help raise awareness of what 'Plog brings to the table.

Obviously though we'll abide by your wishes, it's your baby!

James and Susan
Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Green Plog

Gallery: 0

I did a huge mistake and trusted Jelsoft with their blog addon. Actually not only with their blog addon but even waiting for 4.0 and purchasing new licenses was a huge mistake. Jelsoft clearly choosed their path. They no longer care for quality product. The only thing they care is trying to make more and more money. They are trying to destroy their modification market which is the key success on their business.

I will definately not going to upgrade to 4.0. I am now investigating new solutions which will replace vBulletin as it is clear that i dont want to leave the heart of my site in Internet Brands hands. Their decisions for the last year are all wrong.

If you want to see the truth , everything is pretty clear. Devs are strongly opposed on the direction IB choosed. Hack probably thats why they hired a new Product Manager to replace with Kier. All the announcements they made last year are changed and non of their customers have been informed. They are not the Jelsoft we all trusted.

It is very sad because it looks like vBulletin is dying...
Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Orange Plog

Comments: 1

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Hugh de-lurks. Can anyone say "vBlogetin"?

"And that's all I have to say about that", said Forrest.

As regards the much needed improvements to vB's attachment system ... I'd say as long as Plog rapidly adopts the new standardizing of attachments and takes advantage of the integration opportunities this will open up, I think this might even be good for Plog.

vB have proved with vBlog that they don't really understand the concept of integration, and they don't have any track record in the ins and outs of building a good, usable gallery system. I think it'll be a lot easier for Morgan to take the new attachment system and run with it, greatly improving Plog's ability to integrate seamlessly with all of vB's components, than it will be for vB to come up with a gallery as good as Plog.

-- hugh

Last edited by cheesegrits; 12-19-2008 at 10:26 PM..