Go Back   PhotoPlog > PhotoPlog.com > Miscellaneous Foobar
Screens Demo Purchase Download Register

Attention: Last reply in this thread was more than 17 Years ago

Old 10-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Orange Plog

Gallery: 2
Comments: 1
Default Safe Mode Requirement

I notice that one of the requirements is "safe mode off." Is this new for 2.1.2, or has this always been a requirement for 'plog? the reason I ask is one of our servers got hacked over the weekend, and it looks like running PHP without safe mode was the culprit. So I'm looking at having to enable safe mode on all my sites. I got a couple of them fixed, uploading attachments still works, etc. Even got vbSEO working in safe mode, with a few changes to .htaccess.

But 'plog is installed on the one site I haven't switched to safe mode yet.

What features of 'plog rely on safe mode being off?

-- hugh
Old 10-25-2006, 04:54 AM
Head Plog
Admin

Gallery: 10
Comments: 25

Safe mode being off has always been a requirement. It's just listed again with the other requirements. IMHO if anyone wants a gallery, storing files in a database or restricted directory isn't the way to go, as it's too much overhead or lacks flexibility. Personally speaking, I don't think PHP not in safe mode was the problem with your server being hacked. It's more likely that it was due to a bad script or old version of something or other. PhotoPlog needs safe mode off to process files. If you take a run through the code, it is unlikely, though not impossible as I'm not perfect, that you will find a tainted variable. If you have mod_rewrite abilities, this has always been a gem to stick in an htaccess file:
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Orange Plog

Morgan - please feel free to move this into a different thread, I really don't want to clutter up the release thread with safe mode discussions!

Code:
As long as GUID mode is selected rather than UID mode, there's really nothing that restrictive about safe mode when it comes to file uploading and manipulation. It's just a case of being careful about directory / file ownership and permissions.

Code:
There is some fairly clear evidence in the logs that PHP was the culprit in the attack. I run the ISP where the server is located, so I also have all the router and firewall logs covering that time fram, and they all point to the same cause. What concerns me is that the server in question was a fresh, vanilla install of vB 3.6.2 with CMPS 2.1.2. No hacks, mods or other scripts. So I'm trying to find the time to do a full post-mortem, and if necessary talk to the vB or CMPS folk.

Code:
So what does this do / protect against?

-- hugh

Last edited by cheesegrits; 10-29-2006 at 08:04 PM..
Old 10-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Head Plog
Admin

Gallery: 10
Comments: 25

It gives an access denied when http:// is part of a query string.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Orange Plog

Code:
That might help. It's beginning to look like it may have been a cross site hack between vB and openwebmail running on a different virtual domain.

-- hugh