Screens Demo Purchase Download Register

Attention: Last reply in this thread was more than 17 Years ago

Old 08-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Orange Plog

Gallery: 2
Comments: 1
Default relative links

Morgan,

I'd often wondered why the need for the relative / absolute links deal in the Plog options. Now that I'm creating my own vB project (rebuilding my ISP user provisioning system inside vB) which resides in a subfolder, I discovered the various issues with relative versus absolute links.

However, I seem to have found a way of overcoming this without having to do any manual link replacement. I hesitate to mention this, because I'm sure you already know about this, and there's probably other reasons for the way you are handling the relative links issue ... but ...

What I'm doing is, right at the top of the headinclude template I have:

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
... where IN_CHEESE is defined in my global.php, just before the usual chdir to forum root. As long as I handle my own links correctly, this magically resolves all the other relative link problems on the navbar, footer, etc.

Anyway, as I said, I'm sure you already know about this base href trick, but just in case ...

-- hugh
Old 08-04-2006, 03:35 AM
Head Plog
Admin

Gallery: 10
Comments: 25

Thanks, the BASE tag can work well, assuming user agents interpret it correctly, but it won't work on some JavaScript in PhotoPlog like 'switch mode' though it could cut down on the number of items in the Relative/Absolute settings.

If anyone wants to try it, edit the vB headinclude template like cheesegrits says:
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Then remove entries piecewise from the Relative/Absolute settings, testing as you go along, to determine what can be removed and what needs to stay. The action, href, src, and url lines should be able to be removed.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 08-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Orange Plog

Gallery: 2
Comments: 1

Thanks for the heads up about certain JS scripts, I'll watch out for that.

Luckily for me, the main app I'm creating is strictly private, for use by our staff only, so I have control over the browsers. IE is the only guarrantee, FireFox is "best effort" but if something doesn't work, tough.

I'm just glad I found that base href thing, even if it may not solve all my link problems (although so far it has done the job). That whole relative / absolute link issue was driving me nuts! I thought I was going to spend half my life editing templates and writing URL substitution code.

-- hugh