PhotoPlog

Go Back   PhotoPlog > PhotoPlog Pro > Pre-Sale Questions
Screens Demo Purchase Download Register

Attention: Last reply in this thread was more than 17 Years ago

Old 05-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Green Plog

Gallery: 0
Comments: 0

is it possible for attachments that are uploaded in the forums to go into a personal directory in the gallery? I would consider buying photoplog if feature was available or if it was possible to hack this kind of feature in..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Easter_card.JPG (14.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Head Plog
Admin

Gallery: 10
Comments: 25

PhotoPlog currently does not have this ability, but I'll put it on the might-do list. While I don't think getting images into PhotoPlog from posted attachments would be too hard, things like edit attachments in post, soft/hard delete post/thread, etcetera, could pose some difficulties such as meshing posted attachments with gallery files. If you are looking for some way to display posted attachments in a gallery format, maybe this might help.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 05-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Green Plog

thanks I'll check that out...
Old 06-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Green Plog

I'd be very interested in a feature like this. It might be a pain...but it'd be worth it, imo.

As a frequent forum USER and long time ADMIN....
I've always found the biggest problem with galleries is that compete with the forum itself. that is, attachments in threads.

Galleries are more organized, yes, and prettier, yet...
but they tend to pull away from posting pictures and comments in threads and definitely take away from commenting on them in the forum... and its threads and posts in the end that make or break a forum. I've killed many of my most popular threads by adding a gallery.

Why?
Galleries stimulate page views etc... but not interaction. And interaction is EVERYTHING on a forum.
Galleries pull people in quickly, but doesn't hold em. When people come to forums looking at pictures.... they are there for consumption, not interaction.

Eg: I dont think I've ever seen a photo gallery with tons of replies. but I've seen dozen and doznes of forums with "show yourself" or "funny picture" threads with over hundred PAGES of replies. that's telling.

I'd bet good money (ie: BUY INSTANTLY) a gallery with something to connect the attachments and galleries in a more logical and integrated fashion.

-- maybe something simple like the suggestion above....
-- maybe replies create NEW THREADS (in designated forum) with a thumb of the pic.
-- i've seen a mod for vbagallery that adds a feature to the editor so you can insert gallery images into a thread easily (via "my gallery pictures" pop-up box). That would amazing as a standard add-on. (I think the vbgeek wrote it...its really nice )

basically anything that doesn't make the user have to think....."Should I post this in a thread or in the gallery?"

heck I I still don't the answer to that either.
I even made a vote about this with admin of one of my forums...and it was split decision between adding a gallery and NO gallery AT ALL. So it is a recognized problem.

in the end... galleries all are basically the same and vba, PP, photoplog and even IG2 all compete on who's got more features.

but something like this would really separate a product from the bunch. kinda a new "territory" as none of the galleries (I've tried em all) do this to satisfaction.

I hope that makes sense and admin here can give it some serious thought.... I have a feeling PP and vba (same company now) are wayy too locked into their system to bother with true integration. as this is newer product and more open road ahead.. I bet it would be GREAT way to really break away from the rest.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:56 PM
Head Plog
Admin

Gallery: 10
Comments: 25

Thanks for the post, will think more on this.
Please use the forums for support, feature requests, and similar such things. Support does not include custom code, custom template edits, or third-party modifications. PMs and emails to me should be for private information only, such as login information. If you PM or email me a support question, chances are good that I'll ignore it. Thanks.
While the work or play is on, it is a lot of fun if while you are doing one you don't constantly feel that you ought to be doing the other. -- Franklin Pierce Adams
Old 08-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Green Plog

how goes the thinking?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:46 AM
Head Plog

Gallery: 2

This feature definitely won't be in the next release, v2.1.2, but we'll continue to keep it in mind. Thanks for the feedback/suggestion.